The recent international soccer game in Jacksonville got me thinking about the World Cup games, the consuming passion for them around the world, and what we – as writers – can learn from it.
How World Cup Soccer is like a Great Book: (simply replace team with protagonist)
- You’re totally in love with your team (as in, enough to paint yourself blue).
- Your team has a clear goal and the stakes can’t get any higher.
- Your team is working their butts off to win the game, willing to do whatever it takes (even the occasional red card in the goalie box).
- The other team is just as committed to see your team lose.
- There’s no way you’re going to leave before the final whistle. And in the end, you’ll glow with happiness or cry in defeat along with your team.